Saturday, January 2, 2010

"After the Flood"



~4.5" x 10". gouache.



The second image is the color study.

I had a small bit of board that I drew onto with pencil, then scanned digitally to sort out the colors and lighting situation in Photoshop; color studies are a good habit to get into before starting on finishes.

You can see that it's flipped horizontally. I'll flip images while still in process to check for errors.

Using a mirror does the same trick, if you hold your picture up to a mirror as you are working on it from time to time, errors in composition or proportion will jump out at you. Your eyes get used to seeing something a certain way and you can become blind to mistakes that are obvious when reversed.

3 comments:

Errant Knave said...

Quite aside from liking the image, that's an interesting way to catch errors. I'm going to use that ASAP on my drawings. Thanks for sharing.

Caro said...

I love this.

Leonard Dente said...

Nice one Chris. How's your new year going?