Saturday, August 7, 2010

"Botched Self-Portrait"



~8"x10". gouache.

Earlier this summer I sat out on the front porch with a mirror to make a self-portrait. It was extremely sunny, which accounts for the scowl as the light was directly in my face.

Halfway through it, I realized that I didn't like it and that I didn't actually want to be painting. So I started to slop paint over it. Then I stopped that because it seemed like a waste of paint.

I figured I should keep the surface because I'm poor and things to paint on with good surfaces are hard to come by. So I could always paint over it later.

I just now found it in my studio behind a chest of drawers where it had fallen. I don't know if I like it or not. When I look at it up close, there is stuff going on that I like but don't understand.

No comments: